Chair of the Regulatory Policy Committee
Recruiter: The Regulatory Policy Committee (RPC)
Location: London (Greater)
Posted: 12 Apr 2017
Closes: 12 May 2017
Job Function: Chair
The Regulatory Policy Committee (RPC) is a small advisory Non-Departmental Public Body of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. It provides independent, expert advice on the quality of analysis and evidence supporting regulatory changes that affect businesses, charities and voluntary organisations. The Committee is an essential part of the better regulation system, providing stakeholders, in particular business, with confidence that the costs and benefits from regulatory change have been properly considered. The RPC is seeking to recruit a new Chair to lead the Committee and to assure the quality, consistency and proportionality of the Committee’s opinions.
We are looking for an individual with direct, practical experience on business or voluntary organisations and a proven track record in a decisive leadership role.
- Provide effective leadership and strategic direction to form a cohesive and focused Committee.
- Ensure that the Committee, in reaching decisions, takes a proportionate and consistent approach and proper account of the relevant guidance.
- Represent the RPC in engaging stakeholders.
- Ensure the Committee is respected and viewed as a source of high quality advice.
- Encourage high standards of propriety; promote the efficient and effective use of staff and resources.
- Evaluating and reporting annually on the RPC’s work.
- Actively participate in the appointment, induction and performance assessment of Committee members.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate the following skills and aptitudes:
- Ability to influence and command the respect of Ministers and other stakeholders with a track record of building productive working relationships at all levels with a variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to provide direction for the organisation, deliver results and build on the capability of the organisation to address current and future challenges.
- Strong understanding of economic and other financial analysis in policy making including economic principles underlying cost-benefit analysis.
- Strong strategic thinking skills, political awareness and judgement
In addition, it is desirable that the successful candidate will have:
- A good understanding of roles and responsibilities within a committee structure.
- Experience of successfully dealing with the media.
- Experience of working with European counterparts
We would welcome applications from all backgrounds, including those with experience of the small business, voluntary or community sectors.
The successful candidate will be appointed initially for a period of three years and may be eligible for reappointment for a second term subject to continuously good performance, conduct and attendance. There is no guarantee of reappointment.
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is midnight, 12 May 2017.
Please submit the following documents by email to
- A Covering Letter
- A CV
- Completed Candidate Application Form
- Completed Diversity Monitoring Form.
Please ensure that you include “Regulatory Policy Committee (RPC), Chair” in the subject box of your email.
Alternatively, you can send your application in hard copy to:
Central Appointments and Remuneration Team
Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
7th Floor, Spur 2
1 Victoria Street
Documents can be provided in other formats on request.
This post is regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments