Non-Executive Director x 4 - Welsh Rugby Players Association (WRPA)
Posted: 02/08/2018 (14:47)
Agency: Acorn Recruitment
Acorn Executive Search are pleased to be working in partnership with the Welsh Rugby Players Association (WRPA), the independent representative body for professional rugby players in Wales.
As a not-for-profit association, the WRPA aims to represent, develop, promote and protect the collective and individual interests of members for today, and for the future. You can see our mission statement here: https://(url removed)/
The WRPA is governed and directed by the executive committee along with the CEO/General Secretary. The executive committee consists of eight current professional players who are nominated and selected by peers at the start of each playing season.
In order to achieve strategic aims, the WRPA is seeking to appoint four Non-Executive Directors to become part of the WRPA’s Board of Directors, in an exciting and revolutionary change for the association. We are looking for individuals that can broaden the skills-base and diversity of the board and support the next stage of growth and development in this exciting organisation.
Role Title: Non-Executive Directors x 4
Time Commitment: Approximately 1 day per month. With four board meetings per year, board members may be asked to represent the organisation at other relevant meetings and events.
Remuneration: The position is voluntary, however; all reasonable travel and subsistence expenses will be reimbursed.
Location: Flexible, although the majority of meetings are held in Cardiff, by phone or video conference.
The term of office: 2 years
The WRPA is particularly seeking applicants with skills in the following areas:
- Human Resources
- Marketing and Communication
- Policy and Governance
- Information Technology/ Digital
- Support in setting the organisation’s mission, vision, values and strategy.
- Delegating appropriate authority to the CEO, and monitoring and evaluating the implementation of policies, strategy and agreed objectives.
- Ensuring that internal controls are effective.
- Creating and maintaining positive and productive relationships with stakeholders.
- Providing direction and support for staff members and helping them achieve the aims of the organisation.
- Providing mentoring and support to relevant staff or executive committee members.
In relation to the board:
- Ensure the WRPA pursues its core purpose, as well as meeting its obligations under company law and other relevant legislation/regulations.
- Ensure WRPA’s organisational structure and capability, including the resources available, are appropriate for implementing the strategy.
- Develop organisational policies and monitor progress.
- Create a strong and fulfilling working relationship with the other directors.
- Set risk appetite and oversee risk strategy.
- Maintain careful oversight of any risk to reputation and/or financial standing of the organisation.
- Carry out regular evaluation of board performance.
- Ensure compliance with relevant governance requirements, including implementation of the Governance and Leadership Framework for Wales.
In relation to WRPA stakeholders and the sports sector:
- Represent the WRPA, championing the organisation and its members at appropriate events, meetings or functions.
- Build strong and dynamic relationships with WRPA members, understanding their diverse needs and uniting their voices.
- Establish, nurture and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders including the Welsh Rugby Union, the Cardiff Blues, Dragons, Ospreys and Scarlets.
The successful candidate will be a strong leader who is passionate and has a strong understanding of rugby in Wales. However, knowledge of rugby is not an essential requirement for the role.
Previous board experience is not essential but would be desirable. However, applications from candidates who have not previously served in a board role but who can demonstrate the skills and competencies necessary to contribute to the WRPA are welcomed.
- Demonstrates robust, collaborative leadership.
- Experience in developing organisations.
- Awareness and understanding of board responsibilities in a small business.
- Ability to influence across the sporting landscape (Desirable, not essential).
- Excellent Communication Skills.
- Organisation and effective planning.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective professional relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
- Can operate comfortably in different cultural situations.
- Independence and objectivity.
The deadline for applications is midday August 22nd, 2018 and interviews will take place shortly after. Please submit a CV with supporting covering letter which demonstrates your suitability for any of the four board roles.
The WRPA is committed to recruiting a diverse, skills-based board, and encourages applications from people from under-represented populations.
Click here for a full job specification.
Acorn Recruitment acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment.
Start Date: ASAP
Contract Length: N/A
Job Reference: BBBH12007
Job ID: 208373305