Assistant Commissioners - The Boundary Commission for England
Recruiter: The Boundary Commission for England
Salary: Not Specified
Posted: 15 Feb 2021
Closes: 10 Mar 2021
Job Function: Leadership / Management
The Boundary Commission for England (BCE) is an independent and impartial advisory non-departmental public body. It is responsible for conducting reviews of the parliamentary constituency boundaries in England and making recommendations for changes to those boundaries.
The BCE is seeking outstanding candidates to appoint as Assistant Commissioners to support the current review. Successful candidates will be expected to assist the BCE in the analysis of consultation responses, and the development of appropriate subsequent recommendations to the Commission for revised boundary proposals. Some Assistant Commissioners will be expected to chair regional public hearings around the country.
Applicants must therefore be able to demonstrate evidence of strong communication skills (oral and written), analytical skills, teamwork and personal effectiveness. Previous experience of deploying these skills within a public and/or statutory context would be particularly desirable.
These are challenging roles, but for the right individuals offer a unique opportunity to make a significant contribution to the current review of the parliamentary constituencies in England.
Assistant Commissioners will receive a fee-paid remuneration of £350 per day. The term of appointment will be for 12 months, starting 1 October 2021 and concluding on 30 September 2022. However, the work is anticipated to be required in focused periods of up to 10 days between early and late spring, and around 25 days in the summer of 2022.
For more information on how to apply for these vacancies, please visit the BCE Website at: https://boundarycommissionforengland.independent.gov.uk/about-us/assistant-commissioners/assistant-commissioner-recruitment
If you need any further assistance in applying for these vacancies, please call 020 7276 1102 or email: [email protected] (this is not the email address for submitting applications). The closing date for receipt of applications is 10 March 2021. Applications received after this date will not be considered. It is expected that interviews will be held in April/ May for these vacancies.
These appointments are made by the Secretary of State. Both the BCE and its sponsor department are committed to making appointments on merit by fair and open process, and these appointments follow the principle of the Office of the Commissioner for Public Appointments.
- Essential criteria
- Integrity and independence of mind;
- Ability to work accurately at speed and under pressure, quickly absorbing detail, and analysing large quantities of information objectively;
- Ability to produce clear and succinct evidence-based recommendations, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to work well as part of a team with the BCE’s Secretariat and one or more other Assistant Commissioners;
- Ability to work flexibly as required;
- Ability to explain procedures, to inspire respect and confidence, and to maintain authority when challenged, particularly in a public hearing context;
- Ability to treat everyone with respect and sensitivity whatever their background and to demonstrate patience, courtesy and tact when dealing with the general public.
- Desirable though not essential
- Experience of working with spatial or geographic data and/or in the constitutional field.