Non-Executive Chair - Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency
Location: Bristol +
Date Posted: 08/02/2021
Closing Date: 08/03/2021
£30,000 – 60 days per annum
The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) is an executive agency of the Department for Transport. We are committed to actively building on being a more diverse organisation and believe that by being a diverse and inclusive workplace, where everyone is valued, we are more motivated, higher performing and more committed to our team.
To ensure you stay safe on Great Britain’s roads, the DVSA helps you through a lifetime of safe driving, helps you keep your vehicle safe to drive, and protects you from unsafe drivers and vehicles. We carry out driving tests, approve people to be driving instructors and MOT testers, carry out tests to make sure lorries and buses are safe to drive, carry out roadside checks on drivers and vehicles, and monitor vehicle recalls. With the rapid progress of new technologies such as electric and autonomous vehicles, this is an exciting time to join the DVSA Board as we continue to modernise and transform our services to enable us to continue to keep people on our roads safe.
We are seeking a Non-Executive Chair to support and challenge the Executive and to ensure that the Agency delivers its strategic business goals. As Chair, you will use your experience and expertise to assist the Chief Executive in taking forward the strategic direction of the DVSA and provide expertise to drive forward business transformation. You will provide effective leadership to your fellow Non-Executive Board Members and provide support and challenge to our Executive Team, playing a vital role in the strategic and operational leadership of the organisation. As the Agency recovers from the Covid-19 pandemic and looks ahead to the UK’s future relationship with the European Union and the future opportunities for driver and vehicle testing, the role of the Board is more pivotal than ever.
The successful candidate will bring substantial experience as a Non-Executive Director, and we welcome applications from those for whom this would be a first Chair appointment. Excellent relationship-building skills will be key, as is a track record in delivering excellent customer service and transformational change.
We welcome all applications, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, social background, religious beliefs, ethnicity or age.
Skills and qualities
- Substantial experience as a Non-Executive Director;
- Strong and engaging leadership skills, with the ability to set a successful strategic direction;
- Experience of Chairing senior meetings in complex organisations in the private, public or voluntary sectors;
- Ability to gain and maintain the confidence of stakeholders, including Ministers, other public bodies and agencies, industry and campaign groups and successfully influence outcomes;
- As the public figure head, you will need the ability to confidently advocate for the Agency and be able to credibly convey complex messages to a variety of audiences clearly;
- An ability to deliver value for money to the taxpayer by identifying efficiencies and supporting transformation across the organisation;
- The ability to successfully deliver organisational change and bring people (staff/stakeholders/Ministers) with you;
- The ability to inspire a team of non-executives in delivering on Board priorities and facilitate effective contributions from all members;
- Ability to challenge the DVSA to ensure that it is a truly customer focused organisation, based on proven experience in delivering excellent customer service and satisfaction;
- A solid commitment to high ethical standards of integrity and honesty, and an understanding of the value and importance of the Seven Principles of Public Life;
- Interest in the work of the DVSA and understanding of the potential opportunities and challenges it faces.
In addition to the essential skills above, knowledge, understanding or experience of the following would be beneficial:
- The ability to successfully deliver change: experience of digital service and business transformation to improve efficiency and effectiveness at significantly lower cost;
- A strong awareness of corporate governance with the ability to assess risk and promote risk awareness without being risk averse;
- Knowledge and understanding of evolving markets, global forces and future scenarios to inform an organisation’s strategic direction.
How to Apply
If you wish to apply for these positions, please supply the following information by 17:00 on Monday 8 March 2021.
Your application should be submitted online via www.gatenbysanderson.com/job/GSe70412.
You will be required to submit the following:
- A CV setting out your career history and including details of any professional qualifications;
- A short supporting statement (maximum two sides A4, minimum size 11 font) giving evidence of your ability to meet the essential criteria for the role. Please provide specific examples to demonstrate how you meet each of the areas identified in the person specification;
- Completed a) references, conflicts and integrity declaration form and b) diversity monitoring forms, available at www.gatenbysanderson.com/job/GSe70412.
If you do not receive an acknowledgement of your application within 48 hours please email [email protected].
For an informal confidential discussion about the role please contact our advising consultants Olivia Robinson, Julie Myers, or Mark Turner at GatenbySanderson on 0113 205 6298.