Finance Non-Executive Board Member - HM Land Registry
Body: HM Land Registry
Appointing Department: Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
Sectors: Business, Finance & Skills
Number of Vacancies: 1
Remuneration: £20,000 per annum.
Time Requirements: The Board meets up to ten times a year, both at the London HQ and in its other offices across England and Wales.
- Competition Launched 24/08/2017
- Closed for Applications 12/09/2017
- Panel Sift 21/09/2017
- Final Interview Date 10/10/2017
- Announcement TBC
- Ceri Smith Panel Chair Director UKGI • Departmental Official
Show more information
- Michael Mire Chair o f HM Land Registry • Representative of Organisation
Show more information
- Elizabeth Passey Independent Member
Show more information
HM Land Registry is a critical component of national infrastructure. Every time a residential or commercial property is sold or leased HM Land Registry is involved. This is because HM Land Registry is legally responsible for keeping a register of land ownership throughout England and Wales and a sale or lease requires HM Land Registry to change the register for these to be valid.
Charges, like mortgages, are also registered so making it possible for financial institutions to lend against property knowing their collateral is safe. And, almost uniquely around the world, HM Land Registry provides a state-backed guarantee of property ownership and other information held on the register instead of requiring property owners to take out title insurance.
HM Land Registry is a Trading Fund, non ministerial department and executive agency of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS). It employs around 4,500 staff and operates from 14 locations. The skills of its people are vital in maintaining the integrity of the registry and quality of data.
The Government has recently committed to making HM Land Registry “the world’s leading land registry for speed, simplicity and an open approach to data”. This is a hugely ambitious objective which will require HM Land Registry to undertake the most substantial and far-reaching transformation in its 150-year history.
In order to meet Government commitments, HM Land Registry will need to become more digitised and customer-centric. In the near future, we expect HM Land Registry will begin a live test of a “Digital Street” which would enable the ownership of property to be changed close to instantaneously. The Digital Street would also allow HM Land Registry to hold more granular data than is possible at present. Blockchain is one of the underlying technologies that will be trialled. The Digital Street, if successful, would be a world first and has great transformational potential not just for HM Land Registry but the property market itself.
Further information about the work of HM Land Registry can be found at:
We are looking for a specialist Finance Non-Executive Board Member to strengthen the board. In order to ensure that the Land Registry’s ambitious transformation programme succeeds, it is essential that the board has the right mix of specialist skills and expertise.
It is essential that the successful candidate will bring:
- Ability of developing strategy at a senior level across all areas of a business, challenging assumptions and decision-making as appropriate and providing financial analysis and guidance on all activities, plans, targets and business drivers;
- Ability to interpret complex financial information;
- Ability to manage the effectiveness of systems of internal control and risk management systems;
- Strong technical background in internal audit and control;
- Ability to operate at senior Board level; and Strong communications and stakeholder management skills, including the ability to mentor senior executives as appropriate.
It is desirable that the successful candidate will bring:
- An understanding and appreciation of the role of Land Registry in upholding property integrity for the UK economy; and
- An understanding of the public sector accounting standards and conventions.
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is 23:00, 12 September 2017.
Please submit the following documents by email to [email protected]
- A Covering Letter
- A CV
- Completed Candidate Application Form
- Completed Diversity Monitoring Form.
Please ensure that you include “Land Registry NEBM, Non-Executive Board Member TLRGC ” in the subject box of your email, making it clear which specialist role you are applying for.
Alternatively, you can send your application in hard copy to:
Central Appointments and Remuneration Team
Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
7th Floor, Spur 2
1 Victoria Street
Documents can be provided in other formats on request.
- LR Finance NEBM Applicant Pack
- LR Finance NEBM Accessible Applicant pack
- Diversity monitoring form HM Land Registry Finance NEBM
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.