Non-Executive Director - East West Railway Company
Employer: East West Railway Company
Location: London initially, then based in the Oxford-Cambridge corridor
Basis: Permanent, part-time (15-20 days attendance per year)
Role Summary: Provide guidance, encouragement and support to the Leadership team, establishing a strong team empowered to deliver EWR Co.’s strategic aims and objectives
A little bit about us:
East West Rail is a proposed new rail link between Oxford, Milton Keynes, Bedford, Cambridge and potentially beyond. As part of the wider plans for this strategically important corridor, it is one of the most high-profile infrastructure projects in the UK today. The new railway will improve local connectivity and serve as a catalyst for economic development and the creation of new housing, as well as significantly reducing existing journey times.
We are building a diverse team and we welcome people with different types of experience and outlook.
Diversity and inclusion are at the heart of everything we do. Our commitment is based on strong ethical beliefs because we value the individualism each employee brings to our business.
We introduced a number of initiatives to support our diverse team.
We offer a great opportunity to:
- Innovate, positively disrupt and make impactful decisions
- Openly share your ideas and knowledge
- Be part of a professional passionate and diverse team
- Have the right work-life balance
- Be rewarded and recognised for your input
This is a unique opportunity to join the Board of the East West Railway Company, which has been established both to construct the line between Oxford and Cambridge and also to challenge some of the established norms in the rail industry.
In addition to our Chairman, Rob Brighouse, and our Exec Team, we currently have 4 non-Exec Directors and are seeking a 5th NED to complete our Board structure.
- Provide advice to the organisation, representing the interests of the customer within the expectations of Government, regulatory and commercial stakeholders.
- Champion the EWR Co. vision and objectives, challenging Board decisions where appropriate to maintain the aspired strategic direction and culture.
- Provide constructive challenge and hold the Leadership Team to account for effective and efficient delivery against the agreed strategy and business plan.
- Facilitate discussion on key programmatic issues, balancing the legitimate interests of EWR Co. with external stakeholders together with what is considered to be best for the customer journey.
- Challenge and scrutinise the Board and the validity of recommendations made; demonstrating sound independent judgement.
- Offer alternative perspectives to the rail industry norm, based on an ability to consider strategic, complex and often sensitive issues from an informed and balanced viewpoint.
- Advanced leadership and people management skills.
- Excellent customer insight.
- Complex and capital-intensive programme delivery/project management.
- Corporate strategy development and implementation.
- Large-scale operating environments.
- Planning process for large, complex programmes.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Independent judgement with the ability to constructively challenge and encourage.
- Stakeholder engagement – preferably management, government or local authority experience.
- Negotiation and alignment of conflicting stakeholder interests with the ability to resolve disputes.
- Complex financing and funding arrangements, including PFI and PPP arrangements.
You will need to have the right to work in the UK.
- Salary: £15,000 per annum, based on 15-20 days attendance
- Additional payment: £5,000 per annum if requested to chair any EWR Co Sub-Committee
Please send your resume and a covering letter to [email protected]
Closing date: 2 September 2019