Cardiff International Airport Ltd - Commercial Non-Executive Director
Recruiter: Goodson Thomas Ltd
Posted: 25 Dec 2017
Closes: 25 Jan 2018
Job Function: Non Executive Director
Industry: Transport / Logistics
A major strategic asset for Wales, and the nation’s busiest airport, Cardiff International Airport Ltd has recently undergone considerable transformation and is on the path to achieving notable commercial success. In 2016, it attracted over 1.3m passengers and increased its number of aircraft movements to over 26,000; representing 16% passenger growth. A significant player in the economy of south Wales, the Airport sustains 2,625 direct and indirect jobs; c.1,750 of which are aviation-related. Of the c.1.345 million passengers, 25% are inbound visitors to Wales.
In March 2013, the Airport was purchased by Welsh Government, and it has since embarked on an ambitious programme of change. Considerable improvements have been made to the terminal, its surrounding infrastructure, its customer service experience, and several new routes have been introduced. Of its 50 direct routes, 9 fly direct to European capital cities, whilst 11 fly to major hub airports with connections to over 900 destinations. The Airport is currently working with 18 airlines, and is home to the British Airways Maintenance Centre.
From next year, the Airport will offer its first long-haul service as it launches a regular service between Doha and Cardiff.
This is an exciting time to be joining the Company’s Board of Directors as it pursues an ambitious and sustainable growth strategy; positioning the business as a key driver of economic prosperity for Wales.
- You will provide a creative and informed contribution to strategy formation, giving a wider view of external factors affecting the Airport and its business environment, and act as a constructive critic in looking at objectives and plans devised by the Executive team;
- You will monitor the performance of the Executive team, ensuring financial controls and systems of risk management are robust and monitored regularly and rigorously.
- You will ensure the Board maintains high standards of corporate governance and that it complies with its articles of association as well as relevant legal, regulatory and governance requirements;
- You will be cognisant of the need for accountability to the Shareholder (Welsh Government via HoldCo) and ensure that the Company operates in accordance with its Management Agreement with HoldCo.
- You will possess Board level experience of developing and monitoring business strategy, and a strong track record of delivery as a commercial executive, driving growth and commercial success within retail or tourism fields and B2C environments;
- With sound understanding of strategies and tactics to pursue, to effectively meet market/customer demand, you will demonstrate proven ability to interpret and analyse data; drawing on analysis and other consumer insight to inform business strategies, and be well versed in maximising opportunities presented by digital media;
- You will possess current or recent experience in appraisals of business opportunities and, ideally, spatial planning issues, and will have experience of facilitating commercial negotiations with business partners;
- You will be aware of the business drivers relevant to the aviation industry, preferably experienced in leading within a business of comparable complexity and size, and be familiar with the requirements of operating within a regulated environment.
For an informal discussion and a copy of the Candidate Brief, please contact Siân Goodson or Sam Smith of Goodson Thomas: 029 2167 4422.
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org noting GT_0081_CIAL in the subject line, and attach a copy of your CV and cover letter.
Deadline for Applications: Thursday, 25 January 2018
All applications will be acknowledged.