Board Director - Tennis Wales - Cardiff
Acorn Executive Search supports sport governing bodies in identifying Board Director's in order to strengthen their Boards.
About the Role
Tennis Wales is the Governing Body of tennis in Wales. Our vision is tennis opened up across Wales. We're aiming to grow the game by making it relevant, accessible, welcoming & enjoyable across the country. We've published our strategy from 2020 - 2024 and are collaborating with the LTA, Sport Wales, and our partners and sponsors.
Tennis Wales is looking to recruit a representative from North Wales (who must be a member of a registered place to play within the region) to join the Tennis Wales Board as a Director. As well as being a Director of Tennis Wales Ltd, the applicant will also be expected to liaise with the North Wales Committee. The Director and North Wales Committee members will play an active role in delivering our strategy.
The Director will actively participate in Board meetings to enable the Board to reach decisions and make sure that the company's obligations are fulfilled. Director's take an active role in the policymaking & strategic development for Tennis Wales at Board level, liaising with key stakeholders and supporting the CEO on a regular basis.
The Director will also liaise with the North Wales committee, working with other volunteers locally to deliver the North Wales County Plan as part of our vision for tennis opened up across Wales.
This is a non-salaried position. Travel and other reasonable out-of-pocket expenses will be reimbursed for attendance at official meetings and events on behalf of Tennis Wales. The Tennis Wales Board meets five times a year across Wales and the North Wales committee meets five times throughout the year. The term of office is for three years initially (following formal election at the next North Wales Annual Open Meeting) with a maximum of two, three-year terms.
- To use their experience as an active member of the tennis community in North Wales to offer the Board a valuable perspective along with guidance on matters of concern.
- To make an informed contribution to the strategy and objectives of Tennis Wales, offering a view to the organisation in an objective & constructive manner.
- To take shared responsibility for the performance of the organisation, to ensure Tennis Wales achieves its objectives and aims, operating as a high performing organisation.
- To represent Tennis Wales externally with excellence, promoting the work of the organisation, creating links & introductions to new partners that deliver our strategy.
- To provide advice in relation to the finance & risk management of Tennis Wales, offering information, best practise examples in an impartial way for the Board.
- To guide and support the Chief Executive and the executive as requested on strategic projects related to Tennis Wales, using their knowledge of tennis.
- To provide insight, ideas and specialist advice to Tennis Wales that benefits the organisation and delivers our strategy.
Essential Qualifications and Experience Required
- Experience working at a senior level within an organisation, working at Board level or similar to make strategic decisions.
- Excellent communication skills, working with other Board members, stakeholder, funding partners and colleagues in the organisation.
- An understanding of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of being a company director.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience Required
- Professional qualifications or experience that will benefit the Board, including knowledge of tennis in North Wales. Desirable areas include: Welsh language, fundraising or facility /
- tennis club management
- Fluent in the Welsh language.
Tennis Wales is an equal opportunities organisation and welcomes applications from all interested individuals. Please email a copy of your CV and a covering letter to [email protected] explaining how you meet the criteria for selection and why you wish to join Tennis Wales.
The deadline for applications is 30th September 2020.
Interview dates for shortlisted candidates will be agreed on an individual basis.
Please note that the successful applicant will be required to complete a Criminal Record Disclosure Form
Acorn Recruitment acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment.
Tennis Wales Tennis Wales
Tennis Wales is the Governing Body of tennis with an exciting vision for the future. In partnership with the Lawn Tennis Association & Sport Wales we aim to open tennis up to more people. Tennis Wales support a growing infrastructure of 86 registered tennis venues, 22 Local Authorities, 220 schools and a superb network of charitable partners & sponsors.
Tennis Wales is looking to recruit a voluntary Finance Director to fill a vacant board position and as part of our new Vision Plan, we are looking for a dynamic, passionate, and professional person who can help us achieve our Vision of ‘Tennis Opened Up’.