Two Associate Non-executive Directors - Weston Area Health NHS Trust
We are recruiting two Associate Non-executive Directors for Weston Area Health NHS Trust (WAHT). WAHT is working with University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust (UHB) to consider a potential merger by acquisition, however it is anticipated that this process will take up to a further year, therefore the successful candidates will work with the Board up to the time of a completed transaction.
The Associate Non-executive Director roles are used successfully in the NHS to support Board succession strategy and achieving a balance of Board level skills. Associate Non-executive Directors cannot participate in any formal vote at Board.
The successful candidates will be appointed by the Trust but may also be considered for appointment as Non-executive Directors of the Board in future, should opportunities arise and they have the appropriate skills.
We are looking for two exceptional candidates to provide leadership, informed independent and objective challenge within a framework of mutual respect and diversity to the Board of Directors. The successful candidates must have relevant experience and / or expertise to contribute to the effectiveness of the Board and the wider organisation.
In order to complement the existing skill mix of the Board, the Trust is seeking candidates with a genuine commitment to patients and the promotion of excellent health care services. You will have senior level experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Clinical and patient safety expertise gained from medical, nursing, allied health disciplines or social care experience at a senior level in an academic, research, regulatory or clinically focused role
- Experience in a human resources and organisational development setting, leading and influencing the development of improved employee engagement
- Commercial and financial strategy expertise
The successful candidates will demonstrate commitment to and personal interest in enhancing health and care services, and will have the highest standards of personal integrity. They will also be able to demonstrate a clear understanding of and alignment to the Trust’s values.
WAHT strives to be a high performing organisation to be recognised nationally as a pioneer within the NHS especially in achieving sustainable services within the setting of a small district general hospital.
You will need to be able to demonstrate you can use your experience to:
- work alongside other non-executives and executive colleagues as an equal member of the board
- bring independence, external perspectives, skills and challenge to strategy development
- hold the executive to account by providing purposeful, constructive scrutiny and challenge
- shape and actively support a healthy culture for the trust
All non-executive directors must champion the standards of public life – by upholding the highest standards of conduct and displaying the principles of selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty, and leadership.
As a future NHS leader, the successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the range of behaviours required to contribute effectively in this board level role. These are outlined in the NHS Leadership Academy’s Healthcare Leadership Model.
Applicants should live in or have strong connections with North Somerset and the surrounding area.
We value and promote diversity and are committed to equality of opportunity for all and appointments made on merit. We believe that the best boards are those that reflect the communities they serve.
We particularly welcome applications from women, people from the local black and minority ethnic communities, and disabled people who we know are under-represented in chair and non-executive roles.
- closing date for receipt of applications: 26 April 2018 at 11am. Please forward your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- interview date: 3 May 2018
- proposed start date: mid May 2018
Getting in touch
- For an informal and confidential discussion with Grahame Paine, the Chair of the Trust regarding the role, please contact his Executive Assistant, Julie Fisher on 01934 647001 extension: 3001
- NHS Improvement – for general enquiries contact Miriam Walker on 0300 123 2059 or by emailing email@example.com.
Full details of how to apply are included in the information pack.