Non Executive Director - Ofcom Content Board (Northern Ireland)
Posted: 19 Aug 2017
Closes: 16 Sep 2017
Sectors: Media & Digital Media
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
About the Job:
Ofcom is the regulator for the UK communications industries, with responsibilities across television, radio, telecommunications, wireless communications and postal services. These include responsibility for overseeing television and radio broadcasting throughout the United Kingdom, including regulating the BBC under its new Charter.
The Content Board is a committee of the main Ofcom Board, with delegated and advisory responsibility for a wide range of content issues. The Content Board plays a crucial role in the regulation of television, radio and video-on-demand quality and standards. Increasingly however, these issues are set within the wider context of changes in communications markets, and particularly the role of the internet and digital media in shaping future approaches to regulation.
Essential Skills / Experience:
We are seeking to recruit one new non-executive member for Northern Ireland to join the Content Board. We're seeking candidates who are capable of representing the interests and opinions of people living in Northern Ireland and who have:
- a track record of good editorial judgement and decision-making at a senior level in broadcasting;
- a strong interest in the principles and practice of content regulation, preferably gained from the industry side;
- an excellent understanding of the responsibilities that Ofcom has assumed in relation to regulating the BBC;
- an excellent understanding of broadcasting policy and regulatory issues, the UK media policy landscape and relevant international context;
- an understanding of the needs of consumers and citizens, and an ability to work well with colleagues from the Nations on policy and consumer issues;
- sound judgement and decision-making to ensure successful delivery in a highly complex organisation;
- an appreciation of the competitive and consumer dynamics of these fast changing sectors; the ability to operate at Board level and be team players working with the Content Board Chairman and other colleagues; and
- personal integrity of a high order; demonstrable understanding of Ofcom's need to make independent judgements under pressure; no conflicts arising from any commercial or political interests.
The time commitment is for up to three days per month.
The sifting process will be based on all the evidence provided by the candidate. Failure to demonstrate how you successfully meet each of the competencies specified above will have a direct bearing on whether you will be shortlisted to interview.
To apply please send a CV and a supporting statement highlighting why you meet the criteria for this position to Recruitment@ofcom.org.uk
We will also be in touch with an application pack for you to further enhance your application and will be used to complete our short-listing process.
Closing date for applications is 5pm 30st August 2017, application packs to be completed and returned by 5pm on 31st August. Please note interview will take place on the 6th September 2017.
Ofcom is an equal opportunities employer and committed to equality of opportunity for all. As a disability confident employer, all disabled candidates who meet all the essential criteria of a job description will be guaranteed an interview. If you have a disability or special need and wish to request a reasonable adjustment at any stage of the recruitment process please do so by contacting Recruitment@ofcom.org.uk or calling us on 020 7783 4050. .
Find out more about our approach to diversity and inclusion