Buckinghamshire Building Society - Non-Executive Director
The Society and Background
Buckinghamshire Building Society was founded in 1907, making it one of the UK’s longest established Societies. It is the only remaining independent Building Society in the County and has some 40 staff, all based in Chalfont St Giles.
As a mutual it is run for the benefit of its members, and its success means that it now has more than 11,000 savers and 1,500 borrowers throughout the UK, with assets in excess of £225m.
The Society has a forward looking and positive culture as evidenced by both internal and external surveys, and prides itself on “doing the right thing” at every level of the business and in all aspects of its operations.
The Society has a high performing Board, currently comprised of six Non Executive Directors (NEDs) and two Executive Directors, and a strong senior management team. There is now a rare opportunity to join the Board as we seek to recruit a further NED, ahead of a scheduled retirement next year.
The Board operates in a friendly collegiate way, and Board members are expected to be challenging but constructive, well prepared and considered in their views.
The Society recognises and embraces the benefits of having a diverse Board and sees increasing diversity at Board level as an essential element in maintaining a competitive advantage.
- Recent and relevant Board or equivalent level experience (ideally but not necessarily gained within Retail Financial Services, whether in a mutual or otherwise), ideally as a NED
- Good familiarity with the regulatory environment applicable to retail financial services (with particular focus on prudential regulation)
- Ideally, current familiarity with the range of issues likely to be of board level concern to UK business generally, for example cyber-security, corporate governance
- Ability to question and challenge constructively to arrive at an independent judgement
- High level of empathy with the Mutual business model, and commitment to “doing the right thing”
- Strong ethical sense and absolute integrity
Expected Time Commitment
- All NED Board members are expected to commit between 2-3 days per month (including 1 day per month at the Chalfont St Giles office) and at peak times this may increase and flexibility is expected
Please submit your CV together with a short covering letter demonstrating how you meet the requirements of this role by 1st November 2017 to email@example.com (HR Manager).