Non-Executive Director - Lloyds: Lloyd's Insurance Company Brussels
Posted: 19 Dec 2018
Closes: 16 Jan 2018
Sectors: Banking & Financial Services
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
Lloyd's Insurance Company (LIC) Brussels Non Executive Director
About Lloyd's Insurance Company Brussels
We are the world's leading insurance market providing specialist insurance services in over 200 countries and territories globally. Lloyd's is a society of members, both corporate and individual, who underwrite in syndicates, on whose behalf, professional underwriters accept risk. The Corporation of Lloyd's oversees and provides services to support the market and promotes Lloyd's around the world.
The Lloyd's name is known and trusted and we have built our reputation on strength, stability and expertise. Backed by excellent financial ratings, the Lloyd's market has consistently explored and tackled the world's most unusual and complex risks from space travel to cyber terrorism. At our heart are our talented people working collaboratively to take our reputation further still.
LIC is a newly established company that has the strategic purpose to write insurance and reinsurance business in the EU/EEA from 2019.
This will allow Lloyd's to remain actively engaged with the market and ensure that LIC is an effective solution for the market to carry on business without interruption when the UK leaves the EU.
LIC therefore seeks an individual who can contribute collaboratively to Board decision making and discussion while providing the necessary challenge to the Executive team, that is expected under the Company's governance arrangements.
This role is subject to the 'fit and proper' rules requirements set out by the NBB..
LIC requires an independent non-executive director to become an active member of its Board. You would play a leading part in determining the strategy of LIC, its governance and the policy on risks and supervision of the firm's activities, bringing valuable insights and perspectives to the Company in a critical phase of its development.
- As a Non-Executive Director, you would attend LIC Board meetings, ordinarily four times a year, take part in meetings of the LIC Audit & Risk Committee and Remuneration Committee, and attend additional meetings to consider specific issues.
- There is an requirement of approximately 12 days per annum, to adequately undertake proper performance of the role.
- Actively participate in the formulation and execution of the Company's strategic plans and ensure progress is monitored against achieving the strategic plans and the direction agreed by the LIC Board
- Assist the LIC Board in achieving a balance of focus on addressing short-term business issues and long-term plans, determining the appropriate allocation of time and prioritisation of resources to meet both the short and long-term objectives of the Company
- Ensure the Board focuses on its fiduciary and regulatory duties and that appropriate consideration is given to European regulatory bodies.
What You Will Need
- Operational Leader: Experience of building and leading a business of significant scale and complexity. Prior board experience would be beneficial
- Thought-Leader: An executive whose views on almost any topic will be valuable to the Board, particularly as it relates to business matters in the EU/EEA.
- EU/EEA Business and Regulatory Environment: An executive who has a deep understanding of the EU/EEA and Belgian business environment and a strong grasp and insights into European economic, political, and regulatory matters.
- Strategic: A visionary and strategic thinker who can add ideas, innovation and perspective as the company pursues its strategic objectives.
- International: Experience of operating in a global company and familiarity with markets outside Europe is highly desirable.
- Industry Knowledge: Well-established reputation in the insurance or financial services industry, either as a leader in industry or in the policy/regulatory realm.
An individual with the highest level of integrity and ethical standards
A committed, passionate director who would contribute fully and effectively to the Board's discussions
An individual who comes prepared for Board meetings, acts independently but collaboratively and who doesn't have conflicts of interest (professional or personal) that would impair impartiality as a director
Is free of any commitments or conflicts regarding the availability to attend regularly scheduled Board/committee meetings throughout the year
An executive who can translate operating skills to an advisory and oversight capacity
A Belgian resident would be beneficial
Applications will close on 16 th January 2018