Cancer Research UK is delighted to be working with Executive Search firm Moon Consulting to recruit a group of exceptional individuals who together will help us to beat cancer sooner.
Bristol is a key hub in the ongoing fight against cancer. Amongst the clinical trials in the hospitals and the research taking place at the University, our most ground-breaking work is currently on the Integrative Cancer Epidemiology Programme.
Why we need you:
We need ambitious and well connected people in Bristol to help contribute to the £4.1 million Cancer Epidemiology Programme that is focussing on new ways to prevent and predict cancer development and progression.
What will I be doing and what skills do I need?
The Bristol Business Board will play a major role in raising funds towards this and other high-level Cancer Research UK science projects
The Chair needs to be someone who can command respect amongst their peers, someone with influence and preferably experienced in leading a board or committee. They will need to have time to offer, but also be willing and able to delegate to other members of the Board.
The Treasurer should come from an Accountancy background. This role comes with a level of responsibility as Cancer Research UK places great importance on accurate, transparent financial operations.
The remaining members of the Board will ideally have a range of skills and experience. This is a high-level project so you should have an excellent network in the business and professional communities within the Bristol and surrounding area and to be willing to open these networks to benefit the activities of the Bristol Business Board.
The types of people we are looking for would include:
- Someone with marketing and PR experience, for example a Marketing or Communications Director
- Someone from a legal background who is diligent and has attention to detail, who understands the importance of compliance
- Someone with experience of high level event management
- People from a professional services background who have an excellent network of business contacts, for example, financial services, stockbroking.
In terms of personal qualities, we are seeking to recruit confident, dynamic individuals who are willing to commit some time to seeing this project from the beginning. You will need to be ambitious, tenacious and not afraid to make ‘the ask’. You should also be approachable, flexible and able to work as part of a team, as that will be key to the Board’s success.
What support will we give you?
- An induction to volunteering and ongoing support and guidance from your Bristol based Fundraising Manager
- Advice on setting up and promoting high value fundraising events
- The opportunity to visit the Bristol Science Labs, go behind the scenes and hear from one of the scientists to see how your money helps save lives
- We will reimburse agreed out of pocket expenses
What benefits can I expect?
- The opportunity to take a leading role in the Bristol business community’s role in helping to beat cancer sooner
- The chance to work alongside and deeply engage with one of the world’s leading charity organisations.
- The prospect of growing your networks with other members of the Board
- The satisfaction of knowing you are making a valuable contribution to Cancer Research UK
- The opportunity to develop new and existing skills
Where will I be based?
This is a home based role in Bristol, however part of your role will include you being active in the community e.g. booking venues, sourcing prizes, networking and promoting your event.
To find out more, please contact our retained search consultant Sandy Hinks at Moon Consulting via firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01275 371200 quoting reference MC1857. A copy of your CV and no more than two sides of A4 expression of interest will be required.
Information on individual candidates is held in strictest confidence and Moon Consulting Ltd fully adheres to The Data Protection Act (DPA) 1998. In addition, Moon Consulting is a member of the Recruitment Employment Confederation https://www.rec.uk.com/membership/compliance (link is external) and abide by their code of practice and 10 Principles of good ethics and working practices, including Principle 10 - Respect for confidentiality and privacy which states:
- Members must observe the highest principles of integrity, professionalism, equity and fair practice to maintain the confidentiality and privacy of candidate and client information and should respect the confidentiality of records in accordance with law and good business practice.
- Members and their staff must ensure that permission has been obtained and documented before disclosing, displaying, submitting or seeking confidential or personal information.
Moon Consulting will therefore use a consent form for all prospective candidates, obtaining permission before sharing any confidential information with third parties