Trustee - Barnet African Caribbean Association Ltd
Organisation: Barnet African Caribbean Association Ltd.
Reference: BACA Trustee 2018
Vacancy Type: Trustee
Deadline: 15th August 2018
Barnet African Caribbean Association Ltd (BACA), a small registered charity that provides welcoming day services for older adults in Barnet, is looking to expand its Trustee Board. BACA is an NCVO member and is affiliated to the Stroke Association and Age UK Barnet. Trustees of BACA are co-opted or elected to act in the best interests of the organisation, bringing relevant knowledge, skills and experience obtained in professional activities to any discussions.
To take all reasonable steps to ensure that:
- BACA's activities are within the law.
- BACA's activities are within its charitable objects.
- BACA's resources are only used in pursuance of its charitable objects.
- The organisation is effectively and efficiently administered.
- The organisation is financially sound.
- To actively contribute to the life and work of BACA's Board of Trustees.
- To safeguard the good name and ethos of the organisation.
- To assist in the appointment and management of the Manager and ratify decisions as appropriate.
- To formally monitor all aspects of the organisation's work by attending:
- Committee meetings on a quarterly basis
- Additional reviews of aspects of the organisation's work with staff as and when agreed with the Trustees and the Day Services Manager.
- To get to know the various aspects of the organisation and its members of staff by:
- Taking an active interest in the areas of work and displaying relevant knowledge and expertise.
- By being willing and able to visit the day centre if requested.
- By being willing and able to become a member of a sub-committee or advisory group if requested.
- To assist organisational development by:
- Commenting knowledgeably on proposals and drafts of written documents
- Advising the organisation through the resources of the Day Services Manager in areas where they have special expertise
- Active participation in fundraising and associated activities as requested
- To maintain and develop knowledge of matters relating to older people by:
- Keeping up to date about issues related to older people and which continue to be relevant to BACA.
- from time to time, to represent BACA at public meetings, conferences etc at the request of the Day Services Manager and Trustees.
Trustees should have:
- A commitment to the ethos and philosophy of BACA.
- A capacity to attend at least four board meetings each year.
- A willingness to give to the organisation at least four days each year [for meetings/events held either during the week or at weekends].
- A willingness to sit on a sub-committee or chair a staff group, relevant to experience and interest [meetings generally quarterly].
- A willingness to occasionally visit locations and meet with staff.
- Independence and independent judgment.
- Strategic vision and an ability to think creatively.
- A knowledge and understanding of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of a trustee of a charity.
- An ability to work effectively in a team.
- A willingness to support staff and other volunteers and in particular, the Day Services Manager, as he/she executes appropriate duties and functions.
- Recognition of their own limitations and responsibilities.
Trustees currently meet quarterly. Other extraordinary meetings are set up as necessary. Each Trustee is required to attend a minimum of four meetings each year [attendance is recorded].
In addition Trustees are expected to participate in other sub-committees, events, meetings, groups, as requested.
An induction pack and a range of books are available to assist Trustees in issues relevant to the organisation and/or affecting older people. With the agreement of the Chair and in accordance with the budget, BACA will support the training costs of Trustees where it is considered to be in the interests of the organisation.